How to Install Metal Handrails for Outdoor Steps: A Step-by-Step Guide
Having a set of outdoor steps is a great way to access your backyard or garden. However, many homeowners go through the trouble of installing outdoor metal handrails for steps. Consequently, whether you have existing outdoor steps that need updating, or are building new ones from scratch, having outdoor metal handrails for stairs will significantly reduce the risk of falling and give your home an added layer of safety. However, there are many different types of metal handrails for steps on the market – from simple pipe rails to more elaborate and expensive tubular rails with built-in lighting. So, in this blog post, we’ll show you exactly how to install metal handrails for outdoor steps with ease!
What to Know Before Installing Metal Handrails for Steps?
Before you begin installing handrails for stairs, you’ll want to make sure you have everything you need. This includes:
- Materials and Tools: This includes the handrails themselves, screws, a level, and a drill.
- Location: This includes your steps and walkway, as well as the type of soil and how much foot traffic the area receives.
- Weather Conditions: You’ll want to make sure the weather conditions are ideal for installing outdoor metal handrails. Ideally, you’d want to do this on a warm, sunny day when the ground is softer.
- Customer: You’ll also want to consider who the handrails will be serving – whether it’s just you and your family, or if you also have guests coming over. If it’s the latter, you’ll want to make sure you choose handrails that are robust and durable.
How to Install Metal Handrails for Outdoor Steps
Installing metal handrails for steps is relatively straightforward. You’ll need to start by choosing the right type of metal handrail for your home.
Then, you’ll want to measure the area where you’d like to install the rails. Make sure you consider any obstacles or existing features. Then, use your measurements to determine how many handrails you’ll need to purchase.
Next, you’ll want to mark the holes where you want the rails to be installed. Make sure you’re marking on the side that faces the inside of your home.
After marking the holes, you’ll want to drill them out. Make sure you’re going straight through the wood, and not at an angle.
Next, you’ll want to place the handrail posts through the holes you drilled, and then screw them in place. This will ensure they don’t fall out or move around.
Tips for Installing Metal Handrails for Stairs
- Make sure the handrails you buy are intended for outdoor use.
- Make sure you choose handrails that are durable and built to last.
- You’ll also want to make sure the handrails match the aesthetic of your home.
Installing metal handrails for your outdoor steps is a relatively simple and straightforward process. And once they’re up, they’ll provide a durable and reliable solution to your safety concerns, as well as add an aesthetic touch to your home. Additionally, they’ll serve as a great investment, as they’ll last you many years. Even more so if you choose handrails that come with lights! So, if you’re looking to update your outdoor steps or build new ones, installing metal handrails for steps is a great way to go.